Stari Grad/island of Hvar
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH was built on the foundations of a double basilica from the early Christian period (5th/6th century). There are figural mosaics and a cross-shaped early Christian baptistery.
ST. JEREMY'S CHURCH is a Medieval church that was renovated at the end of the 15th century. There is a hermitage nearby. According to legend, it became a lazaretto. There was a chain extending from it to the other side of the harbour to prevent entry. Nowadays it is a gallery.
|ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH FROM THE 14th CENTURY was renovated in the 16th century. St. Reparte's relics are kept here, as well as the votive paintings of Stari Grad sailing boats. On the main altar, there is Porij's triptych of 1614.|
ST. LUCIA'S CHURCH is the remaining part of what used to be a 15th-century convent that was devastated by the Turks in 1571.
ST ROCK'S CHURCH, dedicated to the patron saint of Stari Grad. It was built in the 16th century by the poet Petar Hektorović as a pious endowment. Under the staircase, there is the floor mosaic of a Roman spa.
ST PETER'S CHURCH AND DOMINICAN MONASTERY founded in 1482. The old church was demolished at the end of the 19th century and a new one was built. The bell tower was built in the 16th century. The foundation stones were taken from the walls of Pharos. There is a wooden crucifix, the work of an unknown artist on the main altar and next to it there is the tomb of the poet Petar Hektorović. The Dominican Monastery Museum of St. Peter's Church is where the oldest stones found in Croatia are kept. These are archaeological finds from Pharos. Other valuable items of the Monastery kept there include The Mourning of Christ by J. Tintoretta (1512-1594), manuscripts and incunabula.
ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH is a parish church. Its building started in 1605 on the location of the first Croatian cathedral, dating back to the 12th century. There is a triptych painted by F. De Santacroce (1516- 1584) and a black marble Holy Cross altar made by A. Bruttapelle in 1773. There is an 18th-century bell tower standing apart from the church. The basement of the bell tower was built with stone from the walls of Pharos, and ''what used to be the City gate is now a tower gate'' (Latin inscription above the gate). A Roman galley relief is built into the tower wall.
TVRDALJ is the fortified castle of the poet Petar Hektorović (1487-1571) There is a fish pond, a dovecot and park. There are many inscriptions in Latin and Croatian. There is also an ethnographic collection in the Politeo Gallery.