Hvar/island of Hvar
The fortress (or citadel) of Hvar is perched on a hill above the old town. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century (at the time of Venetian rule). In 1579, it was restored after a gunpowder explosion. Its final appearance is the result of much reconstruction. During French rule, some additional reinforcement was carried out. The barracks and observation post were built under Austrian rule. It hosts a significant collection of amphorae and other objects from ancient times and the Middle Ages. The town walls lead from the fortress towards the town square. They were built in the Middle Ages. The fortress dominates the town and there is a beautiful view of the town of Hvar and the Pakleni islands from it.
The Cathedral of St. Stephan in Hvar is on the eastern side of the main square. It was built on the site of an earlier 6th century church. The present appearance of the Cathedral dates back to the 16th and 17th century.
The Franciscan monastery in Hvar was built in the 15th century as a retreat for sailors. Inside the monastery, there is a museum with a collection of paintings, old coins, religious books and various other items. The most well-known exhibit is a picture of the Last Supper.
The town loggia from the 15th century is all that remains of the former Governor's Palace.
The Hektorović Palace is one of the finest late Gothic buildings. The building of the Palace started in 1463 but it was never completed.
The arsenal in Hvar was built in the 13th century. The theatre was built on the first floor of the arsenal in 1612. It is one of the oldest in Europe and the first municipal one.